Thursday, September 25, 2008

Identity

Knowing ones identity is not an easy task. Some people doesn't even know who they really are. Others copy, imitate or even worse, steal another person's identity. 


Why? Let us first define the word.

Identity:
- The fact of being who or what a person or thing is.
- The distinct personality of an individual regarded as a persisting entity
- The set of behavioral or personal characteristics by which an individual is recognizable as a member of a group

When you are in a group of people, it is very hard for others to recognize you or identify if you copy another person's actions, appearance, behavior or personality. People will notice you because you are unique. If not, they will think that you are just imitating another person. 

But how will you know who you really are? For me, I've discovered this when I was still in college. I told myself that I should change my old introvert attitude because it won't certainly help with keep up with college life.

I used to be very shy during my elementary and high school years. I'm just a normal student with normal problems in school but I have no more than 5 friends each grade and year level. Boring huh? You will only notice me when my name appears on the Top Ten list but other than that, I'm technically invisible. Sad.

Making friends and being with other people was the last thing on my mind. I'm more concentrated with my studies and other school stuff. Still, I used to be a member of the cultural dance troupe when I was in elementary. Yeah, believe it or not I was a folk dancer before. haha. I had friends there but they were just my school friends, literally. 

So when I entered college, I immediately made friends with my classmates. I can remember some of them like Vanity, Ross, Ivy, Paulo, and umm. okay never mind. haha. But I was surprised. I instantly gained new friends! yay. 

And it started there. My true identity began to unfold. I was never really the quiet, nerd, geek, weak type of person. That person was long gone. haha. I am now, if I may say, a better, strong and fun-loving person. Heck, I never imagined that I'd become a teacher! haha.

Some might think that I have two identities. Well the answer is no. I just have this ability to control my attitude depending on the situation. If I need to be professional, then I'll act professional. But if I'm just around my friends, I can be whoever I want to be! I don't want to be serious all of the time. There are a lot of good things in life and I don't want one problem to spoil all the fun. 

If you see me for the first time, you may get the impression that I am masungit or snob. But truth is, I really am not. Here's the deal. If I don't know you, then don't bother acting like we are close. haha. 

I know what are my wants, needs, likes and dislikes. I'm not gonna like something just because another other person likes it... that doesn't make me unique. I know what I am capable and not capable of. I'm not gonna volunteer myself with a job when I know in the first place that I cannot do it. I'm won't brag about my talents, abilities, and whatnot just to make others notice me. If my talents or services are needed, then that's just the time to show them off. I won't try to fit in if I know in my mind that I can't. 

The best advice i can give is... Just know what your limits are and do not pretend to be someone you're not. 

(^_^)

No comments: