Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Understanding Life.

Last year, I was was surfing the internet for some interesting websites due to boredom. I came across a site filled with quotes from different philosophers, authors and other influential people.

One quotation caught my attention:

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward.”
by Soren Kierkegaard, a Danish Philosopher


It got me thinking. What does that quotation wants to say? During that moment, I cannot really think of any explanation. It was like I had to decipher a code in order for it to make any sense. So I just copied the quote and saved it to my computer.

But now I think it's starting to unveil its message.

In life, there are certain things and events that happen - good or bad - it does not matter. We cannot understand why it happened in a particular way but usually in a negative one. What matters is that we still need to live it and go on with our lives. We have no choice but to face another day in this world.

But after some time, as we recall the things that happened in our lives, we unravel the true meaning of those past events. We begin to understand why it happened and how it contributed in making ourselves better individuals.

If we refuse to live our lives forward, we would not understand why a certain thing happened. Realizations come after doing and accomplishing something in the past. What we are today is a result of the decisions that we made before.

Life is a journey that all of us take and this will not end until the day comes for us to leave. Looking back at our past help us think exhaustively before making another decision.


-------
Everyday I contemplate and learn something from my past. It's good that I have a past to remember rather than being stuck and unable to go on.


PS: I just saw the trailer for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and I swear that I did not know they used that quote.. Haha

(^_^)

1 comment:

Ciara Christia Infantado said...

i have to agree. :D


and life gets more amazing the day we came to realize why something happened and knowing that we have to move on to go farther.

amazing quote indeed.
nice. :D